Monday, December 7, 2009

The Come Up vol. 1: Jay-Cro





AGW: So for everyone who don't know, who are you?
Jay-Cro: I am hustle, I am grind, I’m a Detroit rap artist named Jay-Cro Jay-Young’n, I’m hip hop in its youngest form.

AGW: Tell me about the camp you run with?
Jay-Cro: my camps are U.S.R. (United Street Regime) and Black Government. U.S.R. is my band of brothers and rap artist that consist of entrepreneurs, business men, producers, fashion experts and trendsetters. Black Gov is an even bigger camp U.S.R. is a part of the same aspect.

AGW: So now the mixtape is out, what's next on your list?
Jay-Cro: what isn’t on my list? Lol music vids, radio, blogs, my website…I got my EP I’m working on called “Young’ns in Charge” and the album “Self Explanatory” I should be dropping both in 2010.

AGW: How long have you been rapping?
Jay-Cro: I’ve been rapping since the age of 13 in middle school, didn’t get serious with it till high school though.

AGW: Who is your biggest influence?
Jay-Cro: I would have to say between MC Hammer and Barack Obama. I wanted to be just like Hammer when I was little ‘cuz it just looked dope and fun being on stage rapping and dancing so it’s been my dream since. Barack is my influence ‘cuz ever since he’s been my president I don’t know the word “cant”.

AGW: What artist(s) do you look up to in the game?
Jay-Cro: Eminem, Lil’ Wayne, T.I., and Kanye west

AGW: What is a misconception about you?
Jay-Cro: Besides being slept on, that I’m a silly rapper or I just rap freaky. I’m silly as hell and it shows in music a lot ‘cuz I put my life in my records but I can make songs about any and everything I feel is real. That’s why I call myself a universal artist. I don’t go out my boundaries ‘cuz I believe hip-hop is supposed to be a fact.

AGW: How do you feel Twitter has affected your career?
Jay-Cro: Twitter has done things for me that I couldn't have seen me doing in a million years. People ask why I’m always on twitter? ‘Cuz it’s a very powerful tool if used right, you got to know how to work it. My name has grown farther ‘cuz of twitter with gaining a fan base from all over the world, I love it.

AGW: Who are some established artists you want to work with?
Jay-Cro: Nicki Minaj, KiD CuDi, Drake, Eminem, Timberland, and Lil’ Wayne

AGW: Who is some other "Come Up" artists you want to work with?
Jay-Cro: Wiz Khalifa and Mike Posner

AGW: What would be your dream deal scenario?
Jay-Cro: U.S.R./DEF JAM or UNIVERSAL

AGW: Why do you think people look the other way when it comes to the Michigan's music scene?
Jay-Cro: because of the bad reputation we have here, people hear Detroit and think murder death kill, and most of the time that’s all hood n****s want to rap about here, and the artist that actually have something to rap about don’t get heard. But, I think the industry just need to give us an outlet and we will prove a lot of people wrong.

AGW: What do you feel is your role in putting Michigan, more specifically Detroit back on the music scene?
Jay-Cro: I don’t want to say I’m going to be Detroit’s savior but when I get on I’m a mos def put on for my city. It’s so much talent here besides me and my camp I think the world really needs to see how talented Detroit/Midwest Hip-Hop is fasho. My role would def be to open doors up for the city ‘cuz lord knows we need them.


If you haven't already downloaded Jay-Cro's mixtape "Potential: Then & Now" you can click the link below and see what all the hype is about.

Potential: Then & Now: http://www.limelinx.com/files/acbc58f1ef869aa901ce71dadc0332ff

No comments:

Post a Comment